Friday 11 June 2010

Singing in the Shower

Thanks to my multi-talented husband, we finally have a fully-functioning shower, with hot water & everything!

Its only taken 2½ years to get it fixed....but initially we waited for our landlord to get on it and sort it out. After a while we decided it was going to be an expensive job to fix, and thus less likely to ever be sorted by the landlord...then I guess we just got used to using the bath instead. And one day we realised it had been over 2½ years since the shower last worked...

But since the operation, getting into and out of the bath was out of the question. Amazing how many neck muscles you use doing something like that, truly! And washing my (very long) hair in the bath was impossible.

So hubby went to war on the shower, ordered a few likely parts...and whilst we waited for those to be delivered, my local campsite very kindly allowed me to use their showers.

But last night, I had my first shower, in over 2½ years...in my own home! Bliss :)

--

In other news my scar is starting to look and feel better, and during a dressing change on my chest drain hole I sneaked a peak at the 'hole' for the very first time (I was far too squeamish before!), after hubby expressed surprise at just how good that looked too after he took the old dressing off.

[the chest drain hole is the dark smudge about an inch below the main scar]


We've decided to leave the dressing off during the day, to let the air at it for a few days...and just replace the dressing at night, so I don't inadvertently do something stupid to it during my sleep.


As an aside, I was chatting to a friend this morning, who's a paramedic, about my concerns regarding my current meds and the chances of being run over by a bus [no they're not related! although with thyroid brain fog any thing's possible?].
And I asked him if I ought to keep a card or something in my wallet, regarding the medication I'm taking...and he reassured me that all the info they needed, in the rare case that an emergency case cannot communicate, is my name and DOB or next of kin...and the rest would be dealt with by the computer systems. He said in his experience the ICE method doesn't work, as generally at the scene of an accident the paramedics have better things to do than scroll through someone's mobile phone looking for an ICE number. If it would make me feel better, I could stick a note in with my meds, but it'd be far more handy to just have hubby's details written somewhere prominent, especially as my meds and dosages are liable to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment