Tuesday 15 June 2010

Painkillers, Bloodtests & Cinnamon Bagels

Today I'm sore again. My neck / throat hasn't physically hurt for a good while. Its been uncomfortable, its felt awkward, it's nearly always stiff, it generally feels like someone has a good tight, choke-hold around it....but it hasn't been sore. Yet today it is hard to swallow, no, painful to swallow...and ironically, swallowing the painkillers this morning was the hardest thing to do. I almost gave up on lunch completely, and was tempted to make a cup-a-soup instead. Its not sore in a 'sore throat' flu way, but sore as in it felt like I was trying to push food or liquids down past a very solid (and bruised) brick...and occasional stabbing pains in my chin area, and in the left-side of my neck.

I don't know why today should be any different, why I have this throat / neck pain. I have a stupid little theory that my painkillers are working so hard on my period pains - which usually cripple me, to the point of lying on the floor flailing & wailing like I'm in labour, and which are currently barely even making background noise in the pain-stakes - that they aren't working on my neck pain. Highly improbable, but its an explanation which my head is happy to settle with.

Hubby and I headed off to my Doctor this morning (I'm still not able to drive) to get my blood tests done, in anticipation of my Endo appointment next week. The first trip was a wasted effort as she had swapped her Nursing Home Visit from Wednesday to Tuesday, so we went home for an hour or two. I made a Chocolate Biscuit Cake (diet is back on the shelf for another week ), whilst hubby made the most of his morning off from work, and caught up on Top Gear re-runs on the Dave channel. We went back after 11.30 am and it was 2nd time lucky. I explained about today's pain, and how I hadn't had actual pain in my neck since I left hospital, but she reminded me that after a thyroidectomy, my oesophagus was likely to be sore for a surprisingly long time. And that it would most probably continue to remind me occasionally that I wasn't as healed as I thought I was.

I also surprised myself by explaining to her that whilst in general I feel OK, I also feel like I'm still 'treading water', only now instead of waiting for my op, and thus in my head for the rest of my life to begin, I'm now sitting around waiting to start feeling hypO. I was just sitting there in the waiting room, thinking to myself how cold it felt. Then I started looking at the other people sitting there, and wondering if they felt a little cold too, or if it was just me. I almost collapsed with relief when one lady piped up to her neighbour and commented on how cold the waiting room was, given the sunny weather outside! Phew, not just me then! Until that moment I don't think I'd even confessed to myself how much I have been possibly over-analysing every little feeling and trying to fit them into the well-known list of classic hypO symptoms.

We also discussed the info I'd discovered on possibly interactions between Xenical and Levothyroxine / Eltroxin. And she reassured me that she had a few thyroid patients successfully combining Eltroxin and Xenical, showing good weight loss, with no significant impact on the efficacy of the Eltroxin. So once the Chocolate Biscuit Cake is safely eaten up and out of my fridge, I'll consider digging out the magic blue pills again. She reassured me that they would be monitoring my thyroid levels *very* closely over the next few months, and that any dose changes needed, would be picked up very quickly. So now was as good a time as ever to start back on the Xenical, if I wanted to do so. But she did also say that if I didn't feel ready to knuckle down on the diet again, and wanted more recovery time, to make my own judgement as to when to start back on the diet pills again. She knows, as well as any of us girls do, that sometimes, when you're feeling low, or in pain, or just a little sorry for yourself...chocolate *IS* the only remedy! :)
(And chocolate is most certainly *NOT* an option when you're taking Xenical!)

In other news...is there a world shortage of Cinnamon Bagels, or is it just localised to my town? I'm hooked on them...but my long suffering husband took me from shop to shop searching for them, and in the end I had to settle for 'fruit loaf' instead....and there is just NO comparison.


No comments:

Post a Comment