Sunday 6 June 2010

Eltroxin Hell & Chocolate Heaven

Of course it is inevitable that if you need something urgently from a pharmacy, it's a Sunday.
Or even better, in this instance, its Bank Holiday Weekend, so the pharmacies won't open until Tuesday.

I've noticed the same law applies with my dogs...if they fall ill, or have an accident, requiring veterinary attention it'll nearly always be on a Sunday...and trying to find a co-operative vet on a Sunday around here is even harder than finding an open pharmacist!

So this afternoon, having run out of Imodium, I found myself on the phone to the local Out-Of-Hours Doctor Service...begging the doctor to tell me that this diarrhoea hell will eventually stop, and asking the hours of the On-Duty pharmacist.

Of course, across the whole town, only one pharmacist is opening....for only one hour per day...and I've missed today's 60 minute prescription dash.

Which left me with no option, but to ride out the rest of today's Eltroxin side-effects, and, with the doctor's agreement, to delay taking my Eltroxin tomorrow until 12pm, when my husband can make a dash to the pharmacist to re-stock in Imodium, before he shuts his doors to the ill folks of this town again at 1pm.

The Out-Of-Hours Doctor assured me that my body would indeed eventually get used to my new dose of Eltroxin, and he promised it would be sooner rather than later...I hope he's right, because this is hell!

My husband and I have spent most of this evening driving around all the bigger supermarkets and petrol stations in the hopes that they may have a secret stock of Imodium, but to no avail. Seemingly I can buy all sorts of things off the shelf, but not something that will stop diarrhoea...and now why would that be? I'm quite sure I can do an awful lot more damage to myself with a couple of 12 packs of paracetamol, than I ever could with a boring pack of Imodium!

I'm now going to console myself by making up a huge Chocolate Biscuit Cake, in anticipation of Mum's birthday tomorrow. I just might have to cheer myself up by licking spoons, and licking the bowl while I'm doing it...and if the Eltroxin doesn't like it, well tough!

2 comments:

  1. I did have a few runny moments when I was hypo, but I never linked them to eltroxin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think for me, because it kicked off withing 30-40 minutes of taking the Eltroxin each day, it was fairly obvious, fairly quickly that the culprit was the Eltroxin.

    Added to that, all the other meds I had been on in hospital for several days with no problems at all.

    The "problem" started on the Friday morning, within half an hour of my first ever dose of Eltroxin...and that had me running to check the data sheet

    But the 'out-of'hours' doctor was quite correct, within 4 or 5 days it had stopped, phew!

    ReplyDelete