Friday 18 June 2010

Driving Miss Stiffneck

I drove out late this afternoon to collect my blood test results.

This is the first time I've driven since the op...and in hindsight, it was perhaps a little too soon. I still have very little neck mobility, so checking to the left & right at junctions and roundabouts was interesting to say the least. And because I drive ancient old German cars, with no power steering or other modern nonsense, sharp corners and turns were harder work than my neck & shoulders would like them to have been. I have a feeling I'm going to pay for my precocious driving adventures later this evening, and possibly tomorrow too...so, in anticipation of that, whilst I was out I stocked up on extra painkillers too ha ha!

I think I'd have just ploughed right through the middle if I'd had to deal with this set of roundabouts today...



With regards to my blood tests, I was little dismayed to see that I'm slightly hypO. I say dismayed, but lets be realistic...I guess perfect bloods, and the perfect Eltroxin dose, immediately after my thyroidectomy was impossibly optimistic.
My TSH came in at 4.07 (range 0.15-3.2), and my Free T4 came in at 21.8 (range 9.9-20.1). Only marginally hypo really, but with results like that, the labs obviously didn't bother testing the FT3 and T3.
I'm certainly not experiencing any major hypo symptoms, certainly nothing like I've experienced in the past when I've been hypo before...which I'm glad of, because those few months, back in 2009 were truly a living hell!

My Urea levels are above normal for the 2nd month in a row. Definitely something to mention to my Endo next Tuesday. This month they were 8.0 (range 2.5-6.7) and last month they were at 7.1. For the previous 2 years they have consistently been between 4.0 and 6.0 so definitely something I'd like to investigate further. It may just be because I've rediscovered my love for filter coffee, and I'm not being as disciplined regarding my water intake these days.

Delighted to see that my WBC count is higher this month, higher than they've been since almost forever. Up to 7.8 (range 3.9-11.1) from last month's 6.1 my WBC has never been out of lab ranges, but there has been a definite downward trend since I started taking the Carbimazole, something I've been keeping an eye on even if neither my doctor nor my Endo have been too worried about it when I've drawn it to their attention. And I hope that is because I'm no longer taking Carbimazole, a side effect of which for some people is lower WBC counts.

I'm meant to be heading off camping with some friends tomorrow night, but I really am going to have to wait and see how much of a fuss my neck makes after driving today...I hate to admit it, but I may just be trying to do too much too soon :(

No comments:

Post a Comment