Tuesday 25 May 2010

My last...

...Endo appointment before my thyroidectomy!

And bless him, he did make me laugh.

He reassured me that my current bloods looked as good as we could get them. And we indulged in a little mutual appreciation, and some metaphorical back-slapping as we congratulated ourselves on working so well together over the last few months, to get my bloods as good as we damn well could prior to the operation. To re-cap...all my levels have stayed within range for 2 months now...something we have until now totally failed to achieve since February 2008. Up until now, the *only* time my levels were' normal was during a 'snapshot' blood test taken whilst I was swinging from HypER to HypO or vice versa. So for 2 concurrent monthly tests to be within range is a momentous occasion for me!

I have to say, it has made a HUGE difference in my care to be able to see the same Endo each time I go in. In the very early days of my Endo referral I was bumped from Intern to fresh-faced Intern...and whilst some of them were absolutely on the button with their knowledge and destined to be brilliant in their future Endo careers, all too often I felt I was holding the hands of the less-experienced ones during my appointments, and having to help them along with ideas & suggestions. The fact that I'm such a regular in the Endo clinic now, that I can request (and receive) appointments exclusively with the Senior Registrar each & every time has made a big difference, and the fact that he and I get on so well together is a complete bonus!

He promised me that if there were any 'endo' issues during my stay in hospital next week that they would of course contact him in the first instance. And that if I was truly worried I should get a permanent marker pen and write "If in doubt contact Doctor Xxxxxxx on Bleep # xxx before cutting!" on my chest! Ha ha!


Edited to add: In a nod to this blog entry: CT Scan & Wedding Anniversaries , yes...my 2nd wedding anniversary will indeed be spent in hospital, attending my Endo...so at least there's no need for me to try and have an accident or something like that - just kidding! I got my hospital anniversary wish, without trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment