Friday 28 August 2009

CT Scan & Wedding Anniversaries

We got married in a local hospital...a curious and, some may say, quaint quirk of my county's civil marriage process...so it kind of felt right to be starting our first wedding anniversary celebration attending another hospital, this time for my long awaited CT Scan appointment.

I had pre-warned my husband that we were likely to be sat in the waiting room for a good while. An hour or so would be a good guess-timate, as that was my average waiting time whenever I came to hospital for an appointment.

So we settled ourselves into the hard plastic chairs, ready for the long haul....with a good pile of magazines, books and as a last resort, the iPod.

You can imagine my surprise then, when almost as soon as my backside settled in the chair I was called through for my scan....and less than 20 minutes after walking into hospital through the main doors, we were exiting the main doors...all finished...and no plans for the rest of the day, other than meeting a friend loosely arranged for after lunch, due to the aforementioned, anticipated long waiting time for my appointment.

The scan itself was easy and stress free. I guess I didn't do enough homework on the various types of scanners, as I was expecting to be slid into a claustrophobic tube, and shut in there for eternity...but instead, I was gently scooted back and forth through what was essentially a giant doughnut, whilst a pre-recorded voice, with a nasal Australian accent, instructed me on when to breathe, how to breathe, and how long to hold my breath, as I gracefully moved back and forth through the ring of the doughnut.

And thus finding ourselves free and easy at 9.30am, appointment done & finished in less than 20 minutes, we re-arranged the meeting with our friend and hit the road.... to spend the rest of our anniversary weekend touring the west of Ireland in our camper van.

Wonder how I can incorporate a hospital visit for our 2nd wedding anniversary next year? I can see its going to be a trend with us!

No comments:

Post a Comment