Wednesday 4 February 2009

Walking Log

So I finally went out for an official walk this morning. Timed. checked heart rate, everything. I'm getting very wrapped up (read: confused?) in resting heart rate, maximum heart rate, training 'zone' or training 'rate.

I'm aiming to keep my understanding of all this simple, follwoing the KISS theory, but at the same time I'm trying to get a basic handle on all these things so that if I am making the effort to get out there walking that I am working/walking hard enough to make a difference, to achieve my goals if you like.

For the record, and for me to be able to check back in the future. Anyone who *does* know about these things, please feel free to comment and/or point out any obvious errors I'm making.

Resting Heart Rate - usually between 78-82 bpm (clearly unfit)

Maximum Heart Rate (=220-35) - 185 bpm

Training Rate 60-80% of MHR - between 110 and 148 bpm

Do I have that right?

So, today, after 10 mins** of moderate pace walking; on gentle, undulating farm tracks; getting out of breath but not uncomfortably so; leg muscles feeling tight but not painful; still able to call out ot the dog that accompanied me.

Heart rate after 10 mins was 112 bpm.

So I've just about edged into the heart rate training zone, but should I try to work myself harder for better benefit....or keep it at the lower end of the training 'zone' for now while I ease back into a regular exercise schedule? Decisions, decisions, and I wish I understood enough about all this to make a more informed decision.

Alright, so 10 minutes isn't a huge feat...but heck, I'm a big girl, and baby steps are a good way to start I reckon. I plan to do 10 mins for a week, then up it in 5 min increments, a week at a time.

Oh...and I'm still smoke-free :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment