Monday 9 February 2009

Frosty the Snowman

Quiet enough weekend.

Very cold over-night temperatures have kept me up at night, worrying about the two outside dogs...so I went on the scrounge around some local businesses on Saturday morning, begging for some freebies and offcuts, and came home with loads of polystyrene boards, thin ply, nails, and some rubber cow mat. And, after my now regular walk across the fields, we spend the morning insulating their kennel. Polystyrene slabs under the floor. Fixed the broken bit of the floor. Then polystyrene insulation up the inside wall and roof area, secured and made dog-safe with the thin ply. Then cow mats cut to size and laid on top of the wooden floor, and the final touch, put the kennel securely up on a pallet to get it off the ground.

I slept much better the following night, knowing that despite the sub-zero temperatures, the two outside boys would be much, much warmer now.

We settled in for an afternoon in front of the television for the first two matches of the 2009 Six Nations rugby....England vs Italy in Twickenham, followed by Ireland vs France in Croke Park, Dublin.

Delighted to see England win, although I don't think they played convincingly. I wish the media would lay off giving Bergamasco such a hard time though. I actually would have preferred France to win the 2nd game....yes I know I live in Ireland, but I'm not Irish, and the sycophantic Irish media irritate me whenever the Irish team do anything even half right. If Ireland ever did win the RU World Cup I think I'd have to leave the country.

Sunday's game between Wales and Scotland, up in Murrayfield, was another good opener for both teams, although a seemingly excessive amount of players being knocked unconscious, bordering on carnage! For a while it seemed there was a player out cold on the pitch every couple of minutes. Gutted for that poor lad Cross, his very first international cap, and he went off, out-cold on a stretcher. With the ref bleating on about giving him a yellow card (sin bin) but not wanting to award him to it on the stretcher, and the ref telling the medical crew that they may as well remove him from the pitch as he was being sent off anyway...to be honest I think that was a harsh penalty anyway, he'd committed to the try, and I don't believe he had time to pull out of it, but sure, what do I know. Hope he's doing OK anyway. Either way, I don't think the final score was a fair reflection on Scotland's performance over all, they had the seemingly *almighty* Wales running scared a few times, and deserved a better score out of it IMHO.

Anyway, still off the smokes (woo hoo!)

And still getting in the daily walks. Although had a day off on Sunday, loads of snow, very slippery, and nursing a few hot spots on my right foot, and calves feeling a little tight...so I figured a rest day was in order.

Felt the difference today though. Feet less sore, but the walk was harder work initially, assuming that's a by-product of having a day off, will know more as I do more - but I went further today, worked harder, and felt better about it all once I'd finished.

Almost felt restless yesterday that I wasn't strapping my boots on and heading out...but really think my feet and calves benefited from a rest day.

Weight has only dropped a lb though, which I find odd, expected more, but that's life I guess. And a loss is a loss!

No comments:

Post a Comment