Thursday 8 April 2010

So, surgery then...

I'm finally on the waiting list for a Total Thyroidectomy.

I was not meant to have my Pre-Op consultation until December, so was rather surprised when I got an appointment with my surgeon sent to me for today...I went along to see what he had to say, and basically, as per my most recent scan, my goitre has now compressed my windpipe to around 10mm and so they are unwilling to wait another 9 months (which was supposed to be *my* get fit/get thinner 9 months! ) because if it squeezes my windpipe any more they will have to take drastic action and do something nasty to my throat so I can continue to breathe....I was still shocked at hearing the first bit to be honest, so didn't take *all* the gruesome details in, sorry.

No idea how soon or otherwise the op will be, but it was indicated that it will be sooner rather than later, and apparently I need to be in for a week before hand, because my thyroid is incredibly toxic at the moment, so they will plug me into to some intra-venous happy juice, and forcefully stop my thyroid from functioning, prior to the op...which is meant to help reduce any nasty problems post-op.
With regards to post-op, the surgery will apparently cause me to go hypocalcaemic pretty much instantly...so I will then have to stay in until my calcium levels are back under control, either naturally, or by then taking a calcium supplement for the rest of my life, in addition to the thyroid replacement meds I'll be on for the rest of my life (ho hum!)
I'll also have a drain tube put in for at least 2 weeks afterwards apparently, and won't be able to talk for a while (yeah, yeah, yeah...hopefully it won't stop my typing though! )

Hubby did a YouTube search for thyroidectomy surgery at work this afternoon....and strongly recommended that I *DON'T* do the same!
He also suggested I avoid films such as 'Awake' and 'Flatliners' until after the op too....he's SO thoughtful, ha ha!

I also need to confess that I've never had a general anaesthetic before and I am utterly, utterly bat-shit shit-scared

No comments:

Post a Comment