Tuesday 6 July 2010

"I Don't Know"

This morning hasn't gone well so far.

Knowing I was waking early this morning, my intentions for an early night last night were dashed when I found myself still messing around online after midnight...this is getting to be a real pattern with me, and I can't seem to break it. I can't get up in the mornings, and I can't seem to get to bed before 2am at night.

Undeterred I set my alarm an hour before I wanted to get up, so I could swallow my Eltroxin and go back to sleep...so far so good...but then I got tormented by the snooze setting on my alarm. And so my plans of waking serenely and enjoying coffee and breakfast before heading to the doctor for the next round of blood tests, was replaced by a mad panic of realising I was still in bed and needed to be heading out the door in less than 5 minutes...eeeek!

It never seems to go to plan, but the receptionists at the surgery are very discreet, and they almost never comment on my bed hair, or the toothpaste dribbled down my front, so I think I got away with it again.

But I was still firmly in sleep-land during my appointment...I didn't cop that my doctor only took one vial of blood this time, until it was too late, and I was already holding down the cotton wool on the recently violated vein, so she could put in the strip of sticky tape over it. Which means I'll *only* get my thyroid panel done this time...with not a clue of any of my other blood indicators.

I also completely forgot to mention the dizzy spells I've been getting...and when she asked me how I was feeling all I could muster was "I don't know"...which is of absolutely no use to man nor beast! I had it all prepared...what I wanted to discuss with her, the dizziness, the neck stiffness, the *up* days, where I'm raring to go on everything and fit to burst with ideas and activities, and the *down* days, where I couldn't even tell you my name because my head is so foggy....and all I managed to say was "I don't know"....very profound!

I did remember to mention the stitch/infection issue on my scar, which is looking heaps better since I stopped using the Bio Oil, and instead bathed it in Savlon Antiseptic Wound Wash Spray twice a day. And she did have a little dig about with the piece of stitch still evident, but stated there wasn't enough there for her to get hold of and do something with it. She said the dissolving stitches normally take around 4 weeks to dissolve, and if it was still there in 2 weeks time then she would investigate it further for me...I have a horrible feeling that may well involve a dab of local anaesthetic and a scalpel, but I didn't ask. She said to continue with the Savlon Spray if it flared up again...and to stay away from the Bio Oil until she said it was OK to try it again.

Then, to add insult to injury, when I went to pay my fees at reception I realised I had no cash. and there was no cheque book in my handbag. I sheepishly said I'd nip into the nearby village and get some cash out...to find the only shop in the village with a cash machine had it removed 2 weeks ago...so back to the surgery, with an even more sheepish "I'll pop the money in the post"...

Am I still over-exhausted from the stupidly busy, but extremely fun weekend I've just had, or am I in thyroid brain fog hell....you have until Friday to guess, because that's when I'll get today's test results back, and all with be revealed, ha!


2 comments:

  1. A few of the things above struck a chord with me. I'm another Graves patient and i also find myselfr staying awake late into the night, though I know sleep is really important for thyroid balance. We feel more active and energetic at night, cos that's when our body produces most T3 and T4.
    But it's really counter productive staying awake if it messes up your plans for the next day - especially if it means you can't
    function as well as you'd like to the next day. A good tip someone gave me re hospital appointments is to prepare for them by writing down all your symptoms in advance and taking it in with you.
    As I write, I have an endo appointment tommorrow and am quite stressed about it and not very prepared. My eyes hurt a lot and I feel really unfocussed and Hyper, as I think my CBZ dose is too low. So I've increased my CBZ by 5mg. I'm Back to 10mg now. Logic being that it is more important to control the scary symptoms that to reduce the meds right now. TED symptoms seem to kick in about a month after the dose is reduced.
    so, From another person in thyroid brain fog I say try to remember that if you focus on going to bed earlier, you will be able to get up brighter and bushier tailed. And hopefully you will still be able to have a bit of fun. Having too much thyroid stuff makes you as fuzzy and unfocussed as too little, so it's easy for us to feel we can't win. But like Obama Said, Yes we can. I'm off to bed now. Sleep well.
    I will go now to spend ten minutes preparing all the things I need for the morning, so I can glide out the door serenely. I wish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Shan...some good advice there!

    I usually 'over' organise stuff in advance, to compensate for any fog, my husband always jokes about my lists, and lists of lists...lists everywhere..but it just didn't happen on Tuesday

    I hope your serene gliding was accomplished and your Endo appt went well ;-)

    ReplyDelete