Tuesday 14 July 2009

Routine Bloodtests 14th July 2009

I should have done these yesterday, but figured a trip to the hospital to see the ENT surgeon was enough excitement for one day. I'm currently on a monthly blood test schedule, as requested by my Endo, and as I'm due to visit him next week I normally schedule tests one week before my Endo appointment, in order to get the results back in time for him.

Was due to work in the shop today, so headed down to the doctor's surgery bright and early to be first in the queue....but no matter how early I get there (8.50am this morning) the car park is always already full when I get there, ho hum!

For some reason the needle really hurt going in this morning, and I'm truly not a wimp about these things....but my arm has remained sore all day!

I mentioned the strange patch of dark skin and dark hair under my chin (about the size of a 50c piece), and we joked that with everything else going on the last thing I need is to be growing a beard! She took an extra vial of blood and said she'd get my hormones checked this time around too.

She checked my blood pressure, and for the first almost the first time ever she was pleased with the result. When it came in at 150/80 even I cheered! Its always consistently lower when I check it at home, and after checking the accuracy of my personal BP monitor against her own sphygmomanometer in the surgery a while back, we concluded that I can occasionally suffer from white coat syndrome (Google it!) when it comes to checking my BP in the surgery. So, it seems we've finally found a blood pressure medication that seems to suit me. I did ask if there was a cheaper, generic alternative....my current BP medication (Omesar Plus) comes in at €1.24 per daily dose....and she raided her 'Sample Cupboard' and gave me 6 weeks worth, totally free of charge...result! She's done this for me in the past, and it really helps when my cash flow is so miserable.

She tried to ring the hospital x-ray department to see if she could do a 'hurry-up' on my CT Scan appointment, but all the phones were engaged, so she promised she would try again for me later, if only to make sure that a request had indeed been put in by my endo for an appointment on my behalf.

I weighed myself in my pyjamas this morning, and came in 13 lbs lighter than yesterday....amazing what a full set of clothes, and a pair of steel toe-cap boots can weigh!

Hopefully my blood results will be back on Friday, if not Monday at the latest, so I can update my graphs for whichever clueless intern gets to deal with me on Tuesday...watch this space!

No comments:

Post a Comment