Monday 13 July 2009

ENT Surgeon Appointment - 13 July 2009

Out of bed early, after an exhausting week away. I wake up dizzy, and continue to have short dizzy spells as I got about my morning chores. A little perturbed I check my blood pressure. It comes in at 144/75, systolic is a little high at 144, but diastolic is good at less than 80...neither reading would explain the dizzy spells, so I put it down the last remaining dregs of this head cold I've been suffering from.
A quick bath, then I head up the road. I'm getting used to the alarming amount of hair that comes out when I wash my hair, regardless of the amount of conditioner I use...but its still distressing to see all that lovely hair just falling out all over the place, with very little encouragement. I often get my husband to detangle my hair after a bath/shower as I just find it too upsetting. Its easier to close my eyes and let him deal with it...out of sight, out of mind.

Its over an hours' drive to the hospital and all the way I'm chasing the ETA on my Sat Nav, inevitably I'm running late and getting stressed.
I land at the receptionist's desk at 10.57am, for an 11am appointment...and proceed to be ignored for 5 minutes as the two receptionists go about their business, discussing last night's TV with passing nurses, and basically appearing to do all they can to avoid dealing with me. I'm wondering if I'd mistakenly worn my invisible jumper when one of them deigns to notice me.
The checking-in process completed I take my seat, thankful that I'd remembered to pack a book into my handbag.

Two hours later and I'm regretting not putting two books into my bag, as I turn the last page on the book I started just two hours previously.

I sneak out of the open door for a cigarette, leaving my name with a fellow patient, also waiting patiently for their appointment, also two hours after their allotted appointment time.

Finally, 2½ hours after my appointed time of 11am I am called in to see Dr H. The first thing he asks me is if I've had my CT Scan yet. Sadly the reply is negative, and I can see from his expression that this meeting is kind of pointless without the CT results. We joke good naturedly about hospital efficiency. I point out that I am returning to the hospital in one week's time to see my Endocrinologist anyway, and wouldn't it be great if the CT Scan was scheduled for the same day, to save me an extra trip into the hospital...and we both laugh at this highly unlikely scenario. That would make far too much sense to whomever is responsible for scheduling such things.
Undeterred by my lack of CT Scan results, he proceeds to poke and prod at my neck anyway. He has a good poke in my ears (heaven only knows why?), pokes his torch up my nose....(well I suppose as an ENT Surgeon he wants to get his money's worth from any patient), before sticking his hands around my throat again for a further squeeze. He squirts yucky tasting stuff up my nose and assures me that my nose and throat will shortly go numb. I can taste ammonia, he tells me its benzocaine based....either way it stinks, and tastes horrible as it slides down the back of my throat....but it isn't half as unpleasant as the huge long scope he then pokes up my nose, and pushes down my throat. Quite a strange sensation....I don't think my throat is as numb as it should be, I can feel every centimetre of it and its at least 30cm long. Feels odd to talk to him, and answer questions, while this huge long piece of cable is sitting at the back of my throat, by way of my left nostril.
After it is removed my nose runs uncontrollably, and the attending nurse kindly passes me a packet of tissues. She advises me not to drink or eat anything for at least an hour, until the anaesthetic properties have worn off.
Dr H ponders what he has seen and announces that he thinks the Goitre on the right side has spread under my collarbone, and that this will make extraction more complicated. We will know more and have a clearer picture once this damned CT Scan has been done, but for now all we can do is speculate. Mysteriously he tells me that if it is down under my collarbone he won't be able to perform the surgery here....I assume 'here' means this hospital, but I'm not too sure what this statement means. he goes on to discuss other things and I forget to ask him to clarify this statement. I must remember to ask my Endo next week if he has any idea what this means.

Then the discussion turned to weightier matters...if you'll pardon the pun. He expressed concerns, on behalf of his anaesthetist, regarding my weight, and he stated that he'd like me to lose a minimum of 6 stone (preferably 8 stone) before he'd consider passing me over to his anaesthetist...I guess this means he won't be scheduling me for surgery either, until I lose this weight....regardless of my CT Scan results, and regardless of my thyroid problems. Oh, and he'd like me to ditch the smoking too...well that's a given, and is high up on my to-do list as it is.
I joked that I'd set about starving myself between now and my next appointment and he did have the good grace to apologise in advance for his crassness, as he quipped that "no fat people came out of Belsen".

I go back to him in 2 months time....14th of September to be precise, and I will try my hardest to have lost at least a stone or two by then. Oh, and I'll be pi**ed off if I haven't managed to give up smoking by then too. If I haven't had my CT Scan by then, well I guess it'll be yet another wasted appointment....got to love the Irish Health System....

No comments:

Post a Comment