Tuesday 19 May 2009

Endo takes my Goitre seriously!

When I was getting my bloods done the other day, in preparation for today's Endo appointment, I mentioned to my doctor that nobody at the hospital had been too concerned, or even interested in my goitre, no matter how often I mentioned it. I also showed her how much the right hand side had swollen up in recent weeks. She laughed and said "one look at that, and they'll be *VERY* interested this time, trust me!"

She wasn't wrong.

Once again, I was given a consultation with another fresh-faced young intern, but I didn't stay with him for long. One look at my goitre sent him scurrying for the Consultant Endo, and the rest of my appointment was with the boss himself.

He has decided to refer me for a CT Scan to check out the goitre, and also to an ENT consultant...just to make sure they have that covered. He mentioned the possibility thyroid surgery again, but also reminded me of the RAI option - essentially the decision is mine, I just need to do my homework and make the decision, if it comes down to it, but in the meantime it was worth setting the wheels in motion in case I decide to opt for surgery. I guess the goitre is what is worrying them, more than than my malfunctioning thyroid. He reassured me that it all still could come under control with the meds, and all this is purely speculative, but bearing in mind waiting lists for referrals etc we may as well go ahead and make a start.

My bloods are still out, my TSH is too high, and my Free T4 is too low - indicating that I'm very firmly in the Hypo camp right now. So we've dropped my Carbimazole from 30mg/day to 15mg/day.

No comments:

Post a Comment